Thursday, February 15, 2007

KC Cohort Meeting


I am just back from the Westport Coffeehouse where the February meeting of the KC Emergent Cohort was held (hence the picture.) Tonight there were 6 men and three women; two Presbyterians (one of whom is a denominational executive, four Jacob Wellers;, including one of the pastors (and his mom, which was neat!); one E-Free pastor; and one UMC d.s. It felt really great to be there. We discussed Scot McKnight's article from Christianity Today which came out this month entitled Five Streams of the Emerging Church which we all agreed is an excellent primer for persons wanting a better understanding of the emerging church. Several times tonight, I sat amazed as I listened to the two co-workers from Sprint who are Jacob Wellians talk with passion and depth about cultural relevancy and relationship. David, one of those two guys, said that any more, when he is witness to a discussion on theology or faith, he just sits silently, because he is not sure that he understands the words that are being used ( words like "Arminianism" and "Calvinism" to "evangelical" and "liberal") in the same way that the two persons in dialogue understand it, and if he were to witness that discussion, the two people talking together, using those terms might not mean the same thing by them either. I think that is a mark of postmodernism, isn't it? One of those French guys, Lyotard, I think is the one who speaks about this. Anyway, a good time was being had by all when I left...they were still going strong.


There is a KC emergent blog by the way...here is the url: http://kcemergentcohort.blogspot.com/ This lets folks know what is going on and when.


I quoted Kendall about the need for ministry not just with the urban, hip, college educated folks that Emergent Village folks usually attracts (and please know, this Emergent Village stream is really is the manifestation of emerging church that I feel led to support and converse with); however Kendall talks about the need to share the faith with the NASCAR folks, yes, some of whom are urban, hip and well educated, but some of whom live their lives happily in small towns, working hard, having families, watching the same TV shows as their brother and sister city dwellers; visiting some of the same web sitesas their brother and sister city dwellers; and who are also living into that new cultural shift we call postmodernity. I need to think about this more.


And of course, today was the day that I had to get another phone...not another 8525. I may or may not 'fess up to what happened.

3 comments:

Michael Kruse said...

Great post, Susan. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Did you wash your phone in the washing machine??? I bet you washed it...

Susan Cox said...

Good to see you again last night, Mike!

And, Anonymous, no, I did not put it through the washer, but thanks for the guess. Maybe we could have a contest to see who can come closest to what really happened, and I will give them the old phone...even if it doesn't work, just carrying it around will take you to a new level of coolness in your friends' eyes...
Smiling through the blurry eyes, tearing because of the amount of money I am out, and what a sad lesson I learned, Susan