
Okay. I will try to describe this thing that happened today that is, well, indescribable.
I did my "Standing on Mr. Wesley's Grave: Following Our Founder into the Emergent Conversation" presentation for ministers' school, and I must say, I felt quite good about it, really. I had not spoken publicly (as in a presentation) about emergent stuff since last summer at Bishops' Week and it was very good to do so. I ended by reading parts of Psalm 139 and telling the story of having sung Caleb "You are My Sunshine" for many years as "his" song before he went to bed, and how a year or so ago, he came and sang to me Death Cab for Cutie's "I'll Follow You Into the Dark" and how he has sung that for me sometimes before I go to bed. And this is sort of what emergent does---sings God's love back to us.
So that is moving enough for me. But then, after rs's presentation, during the closing worship service, as we begin to partake communion, I hear Brad Bryan, one of our younger clergy who was helping to provide music for Ministers' school, start playing some very familiar chords, and you guessed it, he sang for us "I'll Follow You Into the Dark." I went over and kissed him on the cheek after I had taken communion. Wow. It's one of those kairos moments that really doesn't need me to step all over it to explain it. Wow.

4 comments:
Susan,
Your presentation was a treat. Though I had heard the Wesley stuff before, I had not placed his story in the contaxt of emergent. Very cool stuff. As for the song...I wish you would warn a guy when he's going to need to act tough and macho and hide a tear or two. Beautiful stuff. Thanks for all that you do and are.
Peace,
Shawn Franssens
Susan,
I agree with Shawn! I have to admit when I saw the topics that would be covered this week, I wondered how Wesley and the emergent church could possibly tie together. This was one of those "aha" moments as well as a time when our hearts, minds, (etc) need to be open to what the Spirit is trying to teach us!
Also----(I had a lot of time to think on my 5 hour drive home!) I agree with you about the music - "Thank you, Brad" for being receptive and in-tune with what the Spirit was doing in the worship service - his singing during Communion helped us come full circle within the service.
Thanks to all for a meaningful week.
Peace to all,
Mary Alice Cunningham
I love the song... I presented it to our leadership team as part of a devotional, and it's the very first song on my iPod...
Susan,
TY so much for your words at Pastors School. You did a wonderful job telling us all about Wesley and how his faith emerged to finally form a Church. I want so much to understand and reach out to the next generations... I'll just keep working and praying and emerging towards God our Creator.
I too, was moved by the songs and the Communion Service.
Hope you have a good weekend and I will be praying for you and yours.
Michael
Post a Comment